2 ½ C sifted whole wheat flour
1/4 C ground flax seed1 C sugar
3 t ground cinnamon
2 t baking soda
¾ C applesauce
½ C vegetable oil
1 t vanilla extract
3 C grated/shredded fresh carrots & zucchini (I usually do ~ 1 ½ C of each)
1 apple, peeled, then chopped into fairly small pieces (Timmy always eats the peel for me!)
1 (8 oz) can crushed pineapple, drained
½ C shredded coconut (you can use either sweetened or un-sweetened)
½ C raisins (soak in water for 15 minutes first to get them nice and plump)
½ C nuts, if you want them. I’ve used walnuts and macadamia nuts but Timmy prefers no nuts.
- In a large bowl, combine first 5 ingredients.
- In another bowl, combine eggs, applesauce, oil, and vanilla.
- In another bowl, toss by hand, carrots/zucchini, apple, pineapple, coconut, raisins, and nuts.
- Combine bowl 2 & 3, mixing gently by hand with a spoon.
- Gently mix by hand with spoon this mixture into the dry ingredients bowl. Stop mixing as soon as dry ingredients appear fully moistened.
- Fill paper-lined muffin tins ¾ full.
- Bake at 350 for approx. 22 minutes.
Makes approx. 22 muffins.
Letting the raisins plump up a bit by soaking in water
Timmy always wants to eat the apple peels:)
Before adding the flour mixture
After adding flour...just don't over mix!