Thursday, November 8, 2012

Halloween (...and some other fun catchup!)

It's been a busy couple months and I'll readily admit I got a wee bit lazy with this blog of mine.  Getting back into the preschool routine, swim lessons, and the sudden (and hated) cold/rainy weather of Seattle always takes a while for me to adjust.  I try not to look at the weather back home in the Bay Area right now because it depresses me just a smidge.

We made our annual pumpkin patch visit to the Suyematsu Farms, always a big hit with Timmy and Gemma.  Nearly a torrential downpour the entire weekend, we managed to find the one small break in weather for mad dash to find the perfect pumpkins.  We kind of prefer the odd shaped, colored, you name it...they seem to look better after Jim works his magic with them. 

 Major tears from Gemma when I wouldn't let her run off with all those mini pumpkins
 Timmy cheats his way through the kids hay bale maze and, shockingly, Gemma doesn't follow suit


Seriously, the skies unleashed the fury as soon as we were back in the car.  Thank goodness!
 
No joke, Jim is an amazing pumpkin carver.  Pre-kids, and with hours of uninterrupted time, the masterpieces he'd place on our doorstep were out of this world.  Funny how a 4 year old and 20 month old changes things.  I know how much Timmy and Gemma LOVE to play in the pumpkin goop but I made the executive decision to gut the pumpkins during preschool & nap times.  Gemma's quick on her feet and I just wasn't in the mood to chase her around the house at night while she left a trail of orange mush behind her.   

 Timmy's first masterpiece.  He had help with the eyebrows but did everything else himself.
 
 

 
I knew our luck with the Halloween weather had to run out sooner or later.  The last 3 years we've been blessed with a rain-free, sometimes even sunny (gasp!), Halloween.  Not so much this year.  We took the kids downtown, just like always, where it seems as though the entirety of Bainbridge shows up for trick or treating.  Gemma loved every second of it.  I felt like a wet dog by the time we made it back to our car.  Whatever.  The kids had a great time and that's all I really care about.  Our costumes were a total hit too.  My sewing master mom made Timmy and Gemma's as usual (well, Gemma wore Timmy's costume from 3 years ago) but she also made mine.  We were all characters from the Wizard of Oz!
 
(our fancy pants camera decided to no longer function in auto focus mode, so some of these pictures are blurry and you cannot imagine how angry I am!!!  Usually I have such fantastic pictures from Halloween...)
 Grandma Nikki (Wicked Witch of the West with the Cowardly Lion (Gemma) & Tin Man (Timmy)
 The Great Oz (Grandpa Rob) brought along a special oil can to keep the Tin Man from rusting in the rain...
 Timmy insisted on carrying Gemma's trick or treating bag
 Daddy the Scarecrow.  Gemma refused to let anybody but me hold her that afternoon.  Super fun...

Me (Dorothy) and Gemma.  I've had better hair days...Gemma looked beyond adorable as the lion.  And no joke, a woman later in the afternoon who was taking a family picture of us asked me to "hold in my belly"!!!  Wow did she look embarrassed when I informed her I was nearly 17 weeks pregnant. 
 Family picture.  I'm convicing myself that Gemma is laughing at not crying here.  And Timmy, as usual, refused to look at the camera...
Trick or treating with our wonderful neighbors
 
All in all, another great Halloween.  Gemma definitely enjoyed the trick or treating downtown more than Timmy did.  I'm ashamed to admit how much candy she consumed in the span of less than 4 hours.  Timmy had a lot more fun going door to door in our neighborhood after an early dinner with our neighbor kids.  Am already pondering costumes for next year:)
 
Timmy is back in his swimming lessons again.  Here he is with his pals Blake and Cole in their Kinder 4 class.  He insists on making this goofy face when he has his picture taken now.  You should see his preschool pictures.  Not exactly stellar.  (He has since gotten a much needed haircut)  My swimming boy can do basic freestyle and backstroke now, and is working on side breathing and diving.  Obviously I couldn't be more thrilled.  Timmy's swim instructor, Marilyn Belieu, has a new website for her swim school (www.swimmingwithmarilyn.info).  I seem to get at least a couple hits on my blog each week of people looking for her contact information.  I can say nothing but positive things about his lessons with her.  She is well worth the $$$.  Here's a video I caught earlier this week:

 
Another bragging moment for this mommy - Gemma is in the midst of a vocabulary explosion.  I kid you not, that girl is stringing together up to 6 words at a time.  Proud mommy, yes.  Is it annoying though, that I get to listen to (in a whiny voice) "Mommy, Timmy whacked me on the head"...YES.  I'll take it though.  She's a tough little cookie.  Last week she pushed Timmy off a pile of boxes they had built (nearly 4 feet high) as they were playing king of the mountain.  Yes, my now 20 month old beat the crap out of her 4 year old brother.  And gave him a nice little gash in the eye too.  Little tyrant!  She's super excited about being a big sister this spring and constantly tells me how she's going to hold the baby and give the baby hugs and kisses.  And NO, we are not finding out the sex.  Didn't do it for Timmy and Gemma so I just can't see the point of doing it now.   
Guess that's it.  Hopefully it won't be another 2 months before I update the blog again...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...