Thursday, May 17, 2012

Popsicles??? Yes, please!

In my never ending quest to get my kiddos (especially Gemma) to eat as many veggies as possible (yes, even if it means sneaking them in) I came across this recipe for Avocado Lime popsicles. Personally, I LOVE avocados. So of course I had to try it. I'll let the pictures of Gemma speak for themselves. The kiddos hoovered them! Even the adults thought they were great. Creamy, kind of like a pudding pop, and you can totally taste the lime. Timmy told me tonight at dinner that he wanted a popsicle instead of ice cream for dessert. Ha! I feel like such a sneaky mommy...


(on a side note, can you see the big shiner on her forehead?  Poor kid, she walked right into the door frame in Timmy's room yesterday morning.)


Ingredients:
1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
2 small ripe avocados
pinch of salt
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice

Combine water and sugar in a small saucepan and cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until the mixture comes to a boil and the sugar has dissolved. Let cool to room temperature.
Cut the avocados in half lengthwise, remove the pit and scoop the flesh into a blender, along with the cooled syrup and salt. Blend until smooth, scraping the sides as needed. Add the lime juice and blend just until combined.
(We use popsicle molds...) Divide the mixture among the molds and freeze until solid, about 5 hours.

Got any sneaky ways of getting your kids to eat vegetables?  I'd love to know about them!  I don't have to worry about Timmy, he eats just about any vegetable.  Gemma?  Not so much.  And...she's a lot more stubborn about it too.  Thank goodness for that kale smoothie she drinks everyday!

4 comments:

  1. I would love to have the kale smoothie recipe. We are working on some good rocket pops for the summer. Look at the library for a book about it. We found one that offers great veggie popsicle recipes but we haven't had a chance to try them yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be on the lookout for it. Thanks:) Here's a link to my kale smoothie...
    http://www.anythingbutpickles.com/kale-fruit-smoothie/
    Hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loooooooove avocados. It's my weakness but I know it's good fat. ;) I have never heard if a veggie Popsicle but now I have to try to make one for Arianna. I really need her to eat her veggies. Awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just made it, cant wait to jave deven try when they freeze up!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...