Tuesday, April 3, 2012

I could NEVER be a demon child!

Gemma - 13 months
Just look at that angelic face.  You'd never think this cutie pie could possibly flip the rage switch during sleeping hours.  Alas, this seems to be the norm for the Voss children...at least in the infant stage.  Whoever invented the phrase "sleeping like a baby" has apparently not met Gemma.  Jekyll by day, Hyde by night. 

Thankfully, we finally seem to be making some headway in the sleep department.  Bethany, I thank you for this!  It's been a week into sleep training.  Gemma has gone from a 4 times/night waking (yes, of course to nurse!) to just once a night.  She's happier during the day AND she's eating better too! Not sure if the latter is related to the sleep but I'm going to pretend it is.  And all it took was gradually extending the length of time between soothings when Gemma would wake in the night.  I set a timer.  First stretch - 5 minutes, second stretch - 10 minutes, third stretch - 15 minutes, and thankfully we never had to go farther than that.  I know Gemma associates me with nursing so Jim stepped up (what a great Daddy) and rubbed our little lady's back and forehead, just briefly, before returning to bed and waiting to see if/when Gemma would go back to sleep. 

Timmy, who is a champion sleeper now, did not sleep through the night until around Gemma's age.  I remind myself, probably on a daily basis, that there's hope for my darling daughter.  Ideally, I'd like to nip this once nightly waking in the bud as well, but for the time being, I'm just thankful for the progress we've made!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...