Thursday, March 10, 2011

Gemma Lindsay Voss!

Jim and I are beyond proud to announce that Gemma Lindsay Voss was born last Friday, March 4th at 8:37 am, 8 lbs, 6 oz, and 21 inches long.  Not that we're biased or anything but, she is absolutely perfect!

Gemma was ALMOST born on the 7:05 Bainbridge ferry to Seattle.  I was scheduled to be induced that morning (as I was already a week past my due date) and was told by our doctor that we should be ready to go as early as 7:00...that it all depended on when Swedish Hospital would have room for us.  Jim actually got the call while I was in the shower.  While I'd been having contractions anyway since early morning, they weren't what I would have considered too intense and certainly did not meet the standard "411 rule" (contractions 4 minutes apart, lasting one minute long, for an hour) suggesting we should head to the hospital.  In fact, if we hadn't received the phone call from the Labor & Delivery department, we likely would not have taken the 7:05 ferry in the first place.

Anyway, about halfway through the crossing my contractions almost immediately switched to nearly continuous...about 1 - 2 minutes apart.  Concerned, we called Swedish and were told we needed to alert a ferry deckhand and have them do two things: 1. page the other passengers to see if there was a doctor on board and, 2. arrange for an ambulance to meet us once we arrived in Seattle!  Next thing I know, there are people EVERYWHERE around our car, a doctor who had responded to the page said I was at 9 cm and informed me there was a chance I would be delivering this baby in our car.  The paramedics came and said they would be taking me to Swedish, so I got my first ambulance ride ever, complete with sirens.

We arrived at Swedish at 8:05 and was wheeled to L&D immediately.  Gemma was born at 8:37.  I know I said I was really hoping to go all natural this time (which I'm proud to say I did!) but this certainly wasn't what Jim or I had expected! My doctor thanked me for one of the more exciting births she's had in a while...

I know it's been only 6 days but, Timmy and Gemma are already showing their differences.  They look remarkably similar to one another at this point though.  While Timmy was, and still is to a certain extent,  a pretty unaffectionate child, Gemma gives the word cuddle an entirely new meaning!  This girl will happily sleep on my chest all day if I'd let her.  She's getting used to the Ergo and has nursing pretty well mastered.  She fusses every evening for about 2 - 3 hours but it's nothing compared to Timmy's colic we suffered through for those first 6 months.  All in all, Jim and I couldn't be happier.
Just born and getting to hold Gemma for the first time.  There were some minor complications so I wasn't able to hold her immediately after birth like I was with Timmy.
8 pounds, 6 ounces...big healthy girl!
Timmy gets to see baby sister!
...he was a little scared to hold her though:)
Isn't she beautiful??!!
Snuggling with Mommy
With Dr. Daniel...she is amazing.

Very happy, very proud Mommy!

3 comments:

  1. Best birth story EVER! While I'm sure it wasn't exactly what you had in mind, now that everything turned out perfectly, it will be a story told over and over again I'm sure.

    She's beautiful Tara. I'm so excited for your cute little family! Thanks for the very prompt update!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Tara, this was so sweet and exciting! The pictures are priceless, and we cannot wait to meet her! She is absolutely gorgeous. I am sure Gracie will be in heaven, loves babies, real or fake :) and goes around pointing and saying "baby" in this high pitched voice...her dolls, ads for Babies R' Us, and any baby in public. You and Jim are so blessed...to have one of each and both beautiful! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, how do you always look good! Can't wait to me little gemma

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...